Sunday, January 17, 2010

Phinizy Swamp

After a day of unceasing rain, Sunday morning looked sunny and promising. I made my way to Phinizy swamp, a local nature preserve Southeast of town. The place was deserted, just how I like it and bird calls filled the air. With binoculars in hand, I walked the boardwalk crossing over baldcypress swamp and was overwhelmed by the number of bird species flying, swimming, and wading about. This was a place I could spend hours in, reacquainting myself with Eastern birds and taking in the Southern, moss-covered charm of the scene. After crossing the swamp, a series of trails and roads surround a patchwork of open ponds and canals. On one of these land bridges stood a great blue heron with a mouthful: a huge freshly caught fish for breakfast. I anticipated turtles and was not disappointed - an adult pond slider basked on a patch of flattened cattails at the pond edge. Another leathery face popped in and out of the water nearby. Though I would have liked to continue this meandering through wetlands full of activity, the rain returned in heavy streams. I took my time getting back regardless and was rewarded with a red-shouldered hawk fly-by and close-up views of an Eastern bluebird and yellow-bellied sapsucker. I was at least grateful I had left my camera in the car which would have been soaked, but next time I will capture the essence of the place.

No comments: